Initial Minotaur Review
I've been using an unofficial build of Minotaur since early last week. An official build for Windows was released today. While keeping in mind this is a pre 0.1 build, here are some of my initial thoughts:
- Minotaur is mostly equivalent to recent builds of Mozilla Mail, except, you know, it's stand-alone.
- Links actually open in your default browser! Finally I can click a link and it'll open in Phoenix instead of having to copy/pasting the URL.
- You can customize the toolbar. Not many options as of yet. The Show by icons or "icons and text" feature doesn't work yet. Neither does the Spellchecker. You also can't right click on toolbar and select "customize" yet. To customize toolbars, go View | Toolbars | Customize.
- Prefs have been cleaned up a bit. I think they can be optimized even further, but its at least a start.
- The menu system has been simplified as well.
The Minotaur icons:
They look OK. Maybe a little rough around the edges.
The new mail alert:
- "Compose" is now "Write", although it still says "Compose: " in the title bar.
- Address Book import doesn't work yet.
- Only the Classic theme works.
- Minotaur uses the Mozilla profile location for now instead of it's own like Phoenix. So you can't open Mozilla Mail and minotaur side by side if they're using the same profile. You'll get a "profile is in use" error message. You'll get the same problem if you're using Mozilla as your default web browser.
- Minotaur seems to use less memory than just running Mozilla Mail alone. I've been memory usage periodically throughout the day, sometimes its at 22 megs, sometimes it goes down to 9 or 12. Mozilla Mail consistently stays at 24 megs or so.
Dunno if this happened for you, but after Minotaur used Mozilla's 'default' profile, it changed the theme back to the, uh, default. Outrage! (Actually, not really outrageous for a 0.1 release, but still.)
I didnīt have any problems with the Address Book import. It worked pretty well with me. Ahn... by the way, Minotaur use more memory than Mozilla Mail alone for me. Do you know whay?
Minotaur was very slow during my test. The last build of Mozilla was 2x more fast than the new mail soft.
thunderbird uses its own profile now. does anybody know how to force it to use mozilla's profile?